President Trump’s authorized spokesman Rudolph W. Giuliani is hitting again in opposition to the greater than 700 former federal prosecutors who say the proof in opposition to Trump is ample for felony fees. These 700-plus prosecutors embody one in every of Giuliani’s former assistants within the Reagan Justice Division, Jeffrey Harris. Harris says the Giuliani he knew would have introduced such fees “in a heartbeat.”
In a textual content to The Submit’s Matt Zapotosky, Giuliani expressed exasperation with prosecutors making such calls.
“What prosecutors would provide a gratuitous opinion on a case they didn’t examine?” Giuliani requested rhetorically.
A prosecutor like Giuliani, it seems.
Giuliani’s suggestion that it’s out of bounds for former prosecutors to take such stands is totally at odds together with his personal commentary in recent times. Giuliani, a high-ranking Justice Division prosecutor all through the 1980s, has referred to as for prosecutions of and/or outright alleged crimes dedicated by a number of individuals, together with Hillary Clinton, James B. Comey and Michael Cohen.
Right here’s a fast rundown of 12 examples:
- Clinton: “Let’s go, DOJ get up. the place’s the indictment. Clinton’s not above legislation.”
- Hillary Clinton’s maid: “Clinton’s maid routinely despatched categorised information from residence to Clinton — a criminal offense.”
- Cohen: “If Cohen shouldn’t be indicted for a number of perjuries earlier than Congress, DOJ should dismiss the Flynn indictment.”
- Clinton: “’Comey’ (v) means to intrude illicitly with an election. For instance ‘The Chicago Democrat machine comied the 1960 election.’ This utilization derived from Comey’s interference in 2016 election by failing to prosecute [Clinton] after which an unprecedented launch of incriminating info.”
- Cohen: “Effectively Cohen’s perjury about searching for a WH job is confirmed by his personal phrases. Have to be prosecuted?”
- Bruce Ohr: “Bruce Ohr labored on Steele file whereas at DOJ. His spouse labored for FusionGPS, firm peddling lies about President Trump, and was paid by them. A CRIME. 18 USC 208.
- Cohen: “One other perjury and extra jail.”
- Clinton: “It was crying out for prosecution. I might have prosecuted that case with my eyes closed.”
- Clinton: “There’s a lady who actually obstructed justice.”
- Comey: “Comey needs to be prosecuted for leaking confidential FBI data when he leaked his report meant to develop a particular prosecutor for the president of the USA.”
- Clinton: “Both she was the dumbest Secretary of State in American historical past or a bald-faced liar . . . If it’s the latter she needs to be prosecuted for a similar crime as Martha Stewart by making a false assertion to the FBI in violation of 18 U.S. Code part 1001.”
- Clinton: “I do know you’re very upset you didn’t win, however you’re a felony.”
A few of these are extra nuanced than others, however lots of them are express requires prosecution or accusations of felony exercise . . . made by a former federal prosecutor . . . in circumstances he didn’t personally examine.
One additionally wonders what Giuliani thinks of Legal professional Basic William P. Barr making a choice to not accuse Trump of felony exercise — despite the fact that Robert S. Mueller III disagreed — in a case he didn’t examine.